for more information contact us:
Garnock Community Campus, Beith Road, Glengarnock, KA14 3BF
This Project aims to engage young people and their families in Music Making through Pipe Band activities. We have 100 young people currently involved.
Pipe Bands give young people skills for life; they promote teamwork, commitment, self-esteem, individual and shared achievement, a sense of discipline, fun, friendship and become a source of pride and focus for schools and communities.
Through these activities young people will develop their musical skills in reading music and participating in group music making. Young people will be developing skills for life, learning and work through individual and group activities. Teamwork will be at the heart of the project and young people and families will be encouraged to work together and support each other.
The Project is delivered in the following way:
• The Community Campus is the hub for the delivery with delivery also taking place in four other areas in the Garnock Valley.
• The project began with a kick start weekend where all of the young people involved in the project were introduced to pipes and drums.
• Young people receive weekly tuition in groups of 3 or 4. We are encouraging parents to attend one of the sessions so that they engage with the learning.
• We have strarted to introduced sessions on group music making – small ensemble, quartets etc. This is where we need the funding to purchase drums and additional sets of pipes.
• We have a small Pipe Band with 5 pipers and 2 drummers just now but we are aiming to have a full pipe in place led by the young people and the community within the next year.
Through this project young people are becoming more confident, are more engaged in learning, have higher self-esteem, are discovering untapped talent, are takingon leadership roles and flourishing in other areas of their life. There is growing quantitative evidence that Pipe Band activities are effective in engaging hard to reach young people and that band members are more likely to achieve positive destinations.